Saturday, February 27, 2016

Pileated Woodpecker eating berries

male Pileated Woodpecker Hylatomus pileatus
  I have birded my last at Suncheon Bay - sold the bike today, and I shall not return to the best patch I've ever had the pleasure of birding. A patch that, like the rest of Korea, is in a state of steady degradation in the name of lucre and ignorance. So that has me a bit down, but chin up - before returning to Montreal I will be birding in and around Seoul for the next two weeks, including a few days on Deokjeok Island, a spot that I haven't birded since way back in 2008. I fear I may be rambling from exhaustion. I'll soon have some time to reflect properly on Suncheon/Korea.
  In the meantime, here's an interesting shot of a Pileated Woodpecker eating a berry in Hudson, Quebec, from late September 2008. While they favour carpenter ants and other insects, up to 20% of their diet consists of plant matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment