Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Mystery of the Relict Habitat / Adventure at Thunder Cape...

Black Swallowtail Papilio polyxenes
Cooper’s Hawk Accipiter cooperii
Woodchuck/Groundhog Marmota monax
Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
  ...and other Hardy Boys classics. For the past several weeks I have been investigating credible reports of several birds in the NDG area that must for now remain unmentioned. That is because there are no records of this species in the central area of Montreal for at least the past century, and I don't want to be labelled a whack-job. If I can secure evidence of these birds, it could indicate a small, unknown relict population - exciting! It's not exactly an Ivory-billed Woodpecker level of excitement, but it's enough to get me out of bed. I'll find them.


Thunder Cape Bird Observatory (photo from their website)
  In other news, in a few days I'm headed off to windy shores of Lake Superior to spend a month or two at the remote Thunder Cape Bird Observatory (near Thunder Bay). That oughta be an experience and a half, I'm well chuffed.

http://www.tbfn.net/thunder-cape-bird-observatory

No comments:

Post a Comment