Thursday, August 24, 2017

"Historical posts"

View from my apartment, Gimpo, 2005
View from my apartment, Seogwipo, Jeju Island, 2009
Trying all the hand gestures while in search of Fairy Pittas with Tim and Youngho, Jeju Island, 2010
  It’s a birding time warp! I started this blog in 2012 to record my birding adventures while in Korea, and wherever else my binos happened to find themselves. I began birding in Korea in 2005, and it’s always bugged me that those earlier sightings and experiences weren’t on Snowy Owl Lost. Because I’ve got some time on my hands, I’ve started working on “Historical posts,” in an effort to consolidate my early birdventures from the various blogs and websites where they reside.
  While the majority of these have been culled from the “Archived Bird News“ section of Birds Korea’s excellent website (http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Birdnews/BK-BN-Birdnews-archive.shtml), I’ve been scouring many other sources as well, including my old ‘non-birding’ blog, several newspaper articles I wrote, my birding notes (when I can find them), emails and messages, and a large and scattered collection of photo folders (useful for digging up contemporary habitat shots). I’ve even recently unearthed old picture CDs (CDs!) from the 2005-2007 era, when I was attempting to photograph birds with an old point-and-shoot camera - that oughta be good for a laugh.
  For a lot of the older images, the original files were lost during the infamous computer crash of 2011, so many pictures will be lamentably poor-resolution screensaves. Some of these lost images are on a broken external hard drive that I may get fixed one day.
  Wherever possible, I’ll try to add some depth to the often pithy bird reports in the form of my contemporary musings, or current recollections. Rummaging through these old images has definitely stirred up a boiling pot of forgotten memories - of the birds, people, and experiences involved in my decade of Korean birding. I’d forgotten about many of these, and preserving birding memories is precisely what this blog is all about.

  The “Historical posts” tab can be found at the bottom of this post, and also on the right-hand side of the page under “Labels” (then of course, clicking on “Older Posts” at the bottom of the page sends you further down the rabbit hole). Another way to browse these posts is by clicking on “2011” or an older year (currently working through 2010 posts), in the “Blog Archive” column, also on the right-hand side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment