Sunday, April 8, 2018

April flurries, no worries


Hey! It's Dan!
Squallin'
Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
American Goldfinch Spinus tristis
Shhh, I hears the wormses...
American Robin Turdus migratorius
  A lazy stroll around the cemeteries with Dan today, to knock the dust off our binos. My bird brain also had some dust on it, as it would seem I’ve forgotten most everything I once knew about birds and the varied sounds they produce. Happens every year. Nothing crazy was out, things should get moving in earnest in next couple of weeks.
  There was a mighty flock of American Robins rooting around in the melted mucky bits near the north entrance, feasting on worm-meat. Something about the insipid yellow shade of American Goldfinches irritates me for some reason. I guess I prefer the rich buttery tones of Old World buntings or something. My kingdom for the deep yellow of a warbler. I’m weird.
  For after-birding sustenance, we hit up the best spot for poutine in Montreal, a real hidden gem,  _redacted_.

Mount-Royal Cemetery, (Notre-Dame-des-Neiges Cemetery), April 8, 2018
Peregrine Falcon-(1 near the university – apparently the pair produced a second egg yesterday)
Downy Woodpecker-2 (2)
American Crow-8+ (8)
Black-capped Chickadee-15+ (4)
Brown Creeper-1
White-breasted Nuthatch-2 (2)
Red-breasted Nuthatch-3
American Robin-45+
Northern Cardinal-2 (2)
Song Sparrow-3 (1)
Dark-eyed Junco-10 (6)
American Goldfinch-3 (2)
House Finch-1 singing

No comments:

Post a Comment