Saturday, April 13, 2019

Narc Park

Halla Mountain looms
Grey (Japanese) Thrush Turdus cardis
Narcissus Flycatcher Ficedula narcissina
Narcissus Flycatcher Ficedula narcissina
Blue-and-white Flycatcher Cyanoptila cyanomelana
Blue-and-white Flycatcher Cyanoptila cyanomelana
female Blue-and-white Flycatcher Cyanoptila cyanomelana
male Blue Rock Thrush Monticola solitarius

female Blue Rock Thrush Monticola solitarius
Japanese Bush Warbler Horornis diphone

Seogwipo, April 12, 2019
  The park so nice, I did it twice. After a dawn raid of a small island in the harbour turned up little, I had a siesta then returned to my scruffy park for a couple of hours, because why not, eh. On the way out of the harbour, I watched a pair of Blue Rock Thrushes do a dance, then noted that the Black-winged Stilts had moved on.
  In the park, I encountered Narcissus Flycatchers pouncing on prey from low trees at four separate spots – I’d forgotten how absolutely spoiled rotten I was in Seogwipo when it came to refuelling Narcs! Narc Park! Ok, settle down, you’re drunk on flycatchers.
 While I was pondering that I hadn’t seen any Blue-and-White Flycatchers yet, a bold Japanese Bush Warbler came in close to my perch and eyeballed me for a while, before it check-checked its merry way over to the next bush on its patrol route. I noticed that Japanese Bush Warblers sing “S-S-S-S-South KoREA!” Then...I saw a Blue-and-white Flycatcher. Some Japanese White-eyes were seen pulling at spider’s webs, collecting them for nesting materials.
  On the way out, I decided to give what I long-ago dubbed “thrush corner” one last check, and was rewarded with the sight of two (or more) Grey Thrushes foraging under low fruit trees. It’s been a while since I’ve seen one of those! Always a fun bird, and have I mentioned how much I love Turdus thrushes? I have, surely. I've seen eight species of Turdus Thrush in that park over the years…pretty soon, the Brown-headed Thrushes will be bouncing among the rotting boardwalks, while Ashy Minivets shreep from the trees above them. I won’t see all that, because I’ll be on a tiny island in the Yellow Sea. High five! I may not have internet again for a few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment