Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Trail of birds


  Haven't been birding much of late, summer birding doldrums, innit. Hey, I saw a Cedar Waxwing yesterday, it came down to watch me read on the porch. Does that count? Freeeeeep! I've been working on finishing up a writing project I started way back in late 2017. Nothing may come of it, but if you ain't tryin', you dyin'.
  Still a few odds n ends I could post from this spring in the Yellow Sea. Here's a video of me huffing and puffing my way up the last stretch of the trail above Gageo Island's quarry, on April 26th. It was lousy with birds, mostly exhausted fresh-in Olive-backed Pipits and assorted buntings, and a Barn Swallow flushing from the fence. Had to pay attention to the ground ahead of me, to avoid trodding on anything. Sorry about the annoying velcro scraping sound.
  During the cold snap, there were loads of exhausted hirundines desperately trying to soak up any errant slice of sun that broke through the overcast. Many died during those chilly few days.



Hirundines bask in the wan sun during a Gageo Island cold snap

No comments:

Post a Comment