Monday, October 29, 2012

Feisty Tiger Keelback, and other snakes

Tiger Keelback Rhabdophis tigrinus
Tiger Keelback Rhabdophis tigrinus

Tiger Keelback Rhabdophis tigrinus
Tiger Keelback Rhabdophis tigrinus
  Snakewatching is my second favourite outdoor activity after birdwatching. I came across this feisty Tiger Keelback at dusk yesterday at the 'tail-end' of a 10-hour birdathon. It was good to see a live one - usually I see them when they're flat on the road. This one was very aggressive, and when I approached it to get some pics it reared up at me with its hood flattened out, cobra-style. Its body raised up quite a bit and it just stood there until I backed off. Very cool.
  In other snake news, I spotted a bright green snake dash into some bushes a couple of weeks ago. It was much quicker than the snakes I normally encounter, and I've never seen a solidly-coloured bright green snake in Korea, so this one has me scratching my head.
Unfortunately this is usually how I find Tiger Keelbacks
Sadly, a freshly dead and gorgeous Dione Ratsnake Elaphe dione
Ussuri Mamushi Pitviper Gloydius blomhoffi, frogwatching
Tiny Dione Ratsnake roadkill
I thought it was a worm at first

No comments:

Post a Comment