Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Butterflies of Buckhinghamshire


Marbled White Melanargia galathea
Meadow brown Maniola jurtina (with Honeybee)
Meadow brown Maniola jurtina
Peacock Inachis io (with Hoverfly)
Ringlet Aphantopus hyperantus
Ringlet Aphantopus hyperantus
Small tortoiseshell Aglais urticae
Silver-washed fritillary Argynnis paphia
Common blue Polyommatus icarus
I don't profess to possess a lot of butterfly knowledge. In fact, everything I know about English butterflies I have gleaned from a glossy 4-page fold-out guide H recently bought. She seemed into it, so I've been aiming my lens downward into the weeds a lot more recently. It's quite a bit easier than trying to get a record shot of a bird, as one can usually lope and blunder after a fleeing butterfly with relative ease. In any case, as interesting/distracting as it is, I don't see myself becoming a serious butterfly-watcher ('flutterer'?) any time soon, for the simple reason that butterflies are not birds. One winged addiction should do fine for now, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment