Saturday, August 31, 2019

America Mechuragi Doyo

St-Lazare Sand Pits
Traffic in the woods
Anthony, George, and Shrijeet in a totally unposed pic

Swampy bit of Parc et Sentier Naturel Taylor Bradbury
Pectoral Sandpiper Calidris melanotos
(아메리카메추라기도요)
Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca (top)
Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes
Olive-sided Flycatcher Contopus cooperi
Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
(can be tricky this time of year)
Painted Lady Vanessa cardui
Viceroy Limenitis archippus
Tawny Crescent Phyciodes batesii (I think)
Tawny Crescent Phyciodes batesii (I think)
Twelve-spotted Skimmer Libellula pulchella
Carolina Locust Dissosteira carolina
Bumblebee sp.
Northern Green Frog Rama clamitans
St-Lazare Sand Pits and Parc et Sentier Naturel Taylor Bradbury, August 31, 2019

  America Mechuragi Doyo is the Korean name for the Pectoral Sandpiper. I spent years scanning shorebird flocks in Korea hoping to see one, but never managed it, as they’re vagrants there. Lo! I had the pleasure of seeing my first Pectoral Sandpiper today while on a BPQ field trip to the St-Lazare Sand Pits 
– a most interesting spot that I have a fuzzy feeling I birded at as a wee lad. Always feels awesome to finally clap eyeballs on a bird you’ve been staring at for years in field guides…hey, there it is…and it looks just like the illustrations in the book…imagine that.
  The bird was extremely confiding, and foraged in the company of several other equally unbothered shorebirds, including Least Sandpipers, and my highlight of the trip – a Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs foraging together at close range. The side-by-side real-time comparison views were amazing, and I feel like I learned a few things about separating the species for next time.
  Other highlights at the lovely sand pit site included four more shorebird species, a Northern Pintail, an Olive-sided Flycatcher, and several Barn Swallows – I’d forgotten how orangey they are here, compared with the Jebis of Korea. We only had three Warbler species (Palm Warbler and Common Yellowthroat at the pits, and American Redstart at the park) on the day, in keeping with my warblerless theme of late.
  While not usually a big fan of birding in large groups, it all worked out well, and I think I did a bit better than the last BPQ trip I was on, when I found myself expectorating random and incorrect bird IDs in a fever-dream of avian Tourette’s.
  We (George, Anthony, and Shrijeet and I) hit up another spot in Hudson after the pits – a fun little park with swampy trails featuring a nice mix of overgrown habitat holding much potential.
  A vexing variety butterflies and other critters were out and about, and it helped having Anthony around to help with the IDs. Thanks to George for doing the hard part (driving), and Shrijeet for the well-timed croissants. Always good times birding with those fellers.
  We ended the day with (more or less) 38 species at the St-Lazare Sand Pits, and 24 species at Parc et Sentier Naturel Taylor Bradbury, for a total of 52 species.

  Anthony's eBird lists: Sablière, St-Lazare
                                                  Parc et Sentier Naturel Taylor Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment