Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Tuft Luck

Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula

Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula leading
Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis


The land of summer cottages on cinder block stilts

Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, MRC : Le Haut-Richelieu, Montérégie

  Went on a twitch down south towards the border with George on Sunday. We found the Tufted Duck, a rare visitor from Eurasia tucked in among a loose raft of (mostly) 
Lesser ScaupBountiful rafts of Tufted Duck were always a sure sign that winter had arrived in Korea.

  We also ran into another bird familiar to me in Korea, a Red-necked Grebe. I didn’t realize that it was a Canada lifer for me until I checked my Sibley’s. Huzzah.

  I spotted a pair of Caspian Terns in the flooded fields on the drive down to the Tufted Duck spot, but we couldn’t find them on the way out. Those fields did hold some other birds of interest, such as Northern Shoveler, Blue- and Green-winged Teal, several Greater Yellowlegs, and a Rusty Blackbird.

  The ‘sexy’ spring migrants still seem bottled up somewhere down south. Those Blue-headed Vireos and Palm Warblers oughta be showing up in force in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment