Sunday, October 9, 2022

Ruffed Day

American Pipit Anthus rubescens

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

Ruffed Grouse Bonasa umbellus

Ruffed Grouse Bonasa umbellus

Common Loon Gavia immer


White squall over Lac des Sables

Snow!


Canada, eh!


PN du Mt-Tremblant, Lac des Sables, October 8, 2022

  Struck north yesterday with George and the gang, into the land of the great green pines. On arrival, we received a bracing boreal greeting of white squalls and frigid temperatures. Relatively frigid, that is. I guess it felt so cold because two days ago I was reading in the park, basking in the 23-degree summery sun in my shorts. It was heat packs and tuques weather...it was ‘I wish I wore long johns and brought thicker gloves’ weather. Not complaining though - it was invigorating, and of course that sweet boreal wind really refreshes the soul.

  The day ended with 20-ish species, but quality trumps quantity when it comes to boreal bird lists. We got two highlights soon after disembarking. Several American Pipits and Horned Larks were found on the beach, but mostly didn’t stay for long. There were also a few summer stragglers lingering in the area, such as Eastern BluebirdAmerican RedstartYellow-rumped Warbler, and later a Chipping Sparrow.

  While exploring a trail around the lake, we encountered several Ruffed Grouse, and had a thrilling close brush with a Black-backed Woodpecker. Besides those birds, much of the trail was oddly devoid of bird life. I'm a bit out of shape when it comes to walking - feels like my knees are filled with bone dust.

  Once again, we dipped on the target species, Spruce Grouse and Boreal Chickadee. I think George may have been messing around with a monkey’s paw or something. He’s snake-bit when it comes to those two species. Feels like he’s been striving to see a Boreal Chickadee for as long as I’ve known him. The salt in the wound comes in the form of stunning images of both species posted to eBird for the location in recent days. Shakes fist at sky. Next time we’ll see ‘em for sure!


  In other news, I saw a pretty crazy bird in NDG a few days ago, but I dare not speak its name unless I can relocate and properly document it.

No comments:

Post a Comment