Saturday, November 26, 2022

The snows of November have melted away…

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
("I'm a Ring-billed Gull!")

American Robin Turdus migratorius

Eastern Grey Squirrel Sciurus carolinensis

  …and my energy has gone with them. Went for a lazy hour’s shamble in the afternoon dusk at a quiet spot in NDG (12 sp). I was scouting for signs of Fieldfares and Townsend’s Solitaires, in light of recent sightings in the province, but only half-seriously. A Pileated Woodpecker was a personal first at the site for me – I guess the trees are getting old and rotty enough for the species. Goodly numbers of American Goldfinch moving around, but nothing else, finch-wise.

  Some individuals within a medium-sized flock of European Starlings were practicing their mimicry. Gray Catbird (well-played, Starling), Killdeer, and Ring-billed Gull calls were all tried out, with varying degrees of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment