Monday, July 24, 2023

Blues on Shoes

European Common Blue Polyommatus icarus

European Common Blue Polyommatus icarus

European Common Blue Polyommatus icarus

Holly Blue Celastrina argiolus

Holly Blue Celastrina argiolus

  The other day, I was reading a book and sipping a Maxim in the park when a European Common Blue landed on my hand. It stayed there for about 15 minutes. In a Snow White move, I was able to transfer it to the other hand. I noticed it was licking me with its proboscis.

  European Common Blues were only first discovered in the past decade in Québec. They were found by an amateur lepidopterist near Mirabel airport, so it’s more than likely they first came off a cargo plane. Neat. They’ve established themselves firmly in Québec since then.

  Flashback to my last weekend in Seoul. I was enjoying an outdoor meal with friends when a Holly Blue landed on my leg. It kept flying back and forth between my shoe and leg. This one was also licking me with its tickly proboscis. The moral of this tale? I guess I’m salty and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment