Monday, April 1, 2024

My NDG Patch

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

American Robin Turdus migratorius

Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens

Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
(Note the nictitating membrane over the eye)


Woodchuck/Groundhog/Siffleur Marmota monax

Woodchuck/Groundhog/Siffleur Marmota monax

Mourning Cloak Nymphalis antiopa

Mourning Cloak Nymphalis antiopa


Worm Moon from last week

  It’s that time of year, when the soil goes soft underfoot, and the Mourning Cloaks and whistling Groundhogs appear as if by magic. Yesterday’s Mourning Cloaks came at least a week earlier than any of my previous sightings. That may mean something, but I’ll leave it to the experts.

  Nothing fresh in, but definitely a spring-like feel to the air. No SOSPs in evidence this time. The thrushes and phoebes will be here soon, I can smell ‘em in the wind. Ended the day with ten species in 90 minutes.

  I’m surprised I’ve never encountered migrating American Woodcocks in my little NDG patch, as there’s some suitable habitat for them there. Maybe one day.

  I’ve never really seen any rare birds in my patch. I probably never will. But I like birding my patch. I don’t mind seeing the same Downy Woodpeckers and Northern Cardinals from year to year. I enjoy seeing how the scenery and cast of characters change there when the seasons thin out and collide with one another. I also enjoy my patch in the winter, when I see four birds all day, and the icy winds cut flesh. I very much enjoy never seeing a clot of photographers there surrounding a single bird, drawn in by eBird, and the clockwork maps inside of their smart phone’s brain. Maybe in a few weeks another warbler species will be added to my modest patch list. Perhaps one day I’ll see a Varied Thrush there, that will pose in perfect lighting, and I will keep it a secret forever. That’s patch birding. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment